5 tablespoonsBrummel & Brown
1 medium organic onion, thinly sliced
2 mediumorganic apples, thinly sliced
1 large organic white potato, diced
1 1/2 cups chopped & peeled organic butternut squash fresh not frozen
Sea Salt & organic fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoonorganic dried sage
2 tablespoons organic all-purpose flour
1/3 cup organic apple cider
4 cups organic low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup organic low-fat milk
2 cups grated organic sharp cheddar . Grate a little more to use as a garnish.
1/3 cup organic chopped chives
1. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium-low heat and add the onion, apples, potato and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
2. Stir in the sage and flour. Add the cider and cook over high heat, stirring, until thickened.
3. Add the broth and milk, cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the potato is soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Add the cheese to the soup and stir over medium-low heat until melted.
5.Puree in a blender in batches until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese and chives, if using.
6. Serve with bread, if desired.