Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite veggies ever, then you add cheese, WHAT!!! This has got to be the best dish ever! I found this recipe and could not be any more excited. The only thing that I would be larges amounts of jalapenos and hot red pepper but I understand that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. I also know many people may feel a certain type of way about Brussels sprouts but I promise they are worth consideration. I eat them on a regular basis. Once you get over their bad reputation I promise they are quite delish.
1 large organic onion, finely chopped
1 clove organic garlic, minced
2 pounds (about 7 cups, halved) fresh organic Brussels sprouts
1 1/2 cups organic low-fat milk
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted organic butter or substitute
5 tablespoons organic wheat flour
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon organic Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon organic dried thyme
Freshly ground organic black pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups grated organic sharp white Cheddar cheese
Paprika, for garnish (optional)
Organic Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Organic Jalapenos or banana peppers (optional)
1. Heat up a skillet and add the onion to the pan and saute over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes
2. Add the garlic for the last minute.
3. Scrape the onions and garlic into a large, shallow casserole and spread them around evenly. Set aside.
4. Trim the Brussels sprouts, then cut them in half (or quarters, if very large) lengthwise.
5. Bring a large soup pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the Brussels sprouts. Return to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Drain immediately in a colander for 5 minutes.
7. Transfer to the casserole, spreading the sprouts evenly in the dish.
8. Heat the oven to 375°.
9. Combine the milk and vegetable broth in a small saucepan.
10. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
11. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
12. Add the flour and cook, stirring over medium heat, for about 1 minute, until the flour is light golden brown.
13. Whisk in half of the hot milk and broth. Heat and whisk for a minute or so, until thick.
14. Add the remaining liquid and cook for about 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
15. Whisk in the Parmesan cheese, mustard, salt, thyme, and pepper.
16. Pour the sauce evenly over the Brussels sprouts. Mince the bacon and sprinkle it over the sauce.
17. Sprinkle evenly with the Cheddar cheese and dust lightly with paprika, hot red pepper flakes and jalapenos, if desired.
18. Place the casserole on the center oven rack and bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
19. Cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Makes 10 servings.