Hot and Spicy are two of my fave words! Hot and spicy shrimp salad just makes my mouth water thinking about it! If you are a vegetarian you can substitute the shrimp for tofu or even tempeh.
I found this recipe on a list of Super Bowl party foods which I feel is a different but probably healthier choice from other options one would usually have on game day. I will say that this recipe would be good for parties (heck even dinner) and can be used for a multitude of different events from spring through summer depending on the event and theme, I’m just not sure how it would go over on game day but I could be wrong. The buffalo shrimp salad is quick, delish and could be a different take on what Super Bowl food can look like.
3/4 cup low-fat organic buttermilk
1/2 cup organic sour cream
2 teaspoons organic apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons fresh organic parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons organic chives, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons organic garlic, minced
Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper
2 heads organic romaine lettuce, torn into pieces (4 cups)
2 cups organic carrots, grated
2 cups organic celery, sliced
1/2 cup organic scallions, sliced
2 tablespoons organic vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Brummel & Brown or organic butter
2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1/4 cup bottled buffalo-wing sauce or hot sauce
1. Combine buttermilk, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, parsley, chives and garlic in a bowl
2. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
3. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Toss lettuce, carrots, celery and scallions with buttermilk dressing in a large bowl.
5. Place in serving bowl.
6. Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Add oil and butter.
8. When butter sizzles, add shrimp and cook, stirring, until opaque, about 4 minutes.
9. Add buffalo-wing sauce, stir to coat shrimp and cook 1 minute longer.
10. Pour shrimp and sauce over salad.