I have to admit mozzarella sticks are one of my fave snacks on the planet. They are a classic snack for parties and get togethers. I could eat them almost everyday I think. That being said they are very not good for you. They are fried, breaded and a bunch of cheese! I found this method the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how deliciously my updated mozzarella sticks came out.
Cheese sticks (you can also use soy cheese sticks and you don’t have to stick to just mozzarella, try whatever cheese you like)
1 package egg roll wrappers (wonton wrappers could be used too but they would be a little less crunchy)
Brummel and Brown (a butter substitute made from yogurt)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the cheese on the wrapper by the edge so you can roll up the cheese completely. Before you get to the other end of the wrapper fold in edges to seal the stick. You can use a little water to make sure the ends stick together.
3. Melt the butter (or substitute) so it can easily be brushed on to the sticks.
4. Brush the sticks lightly all around so they will get crisp.
5. Put sticks in the oven for 10 minutes and watch closely so they do not burn and so the cheese doesn’t leak out. The sizes and thickness of your wrappers and cheese will really determine how long your sticks should cook.
6. When finished remove your mozzarella sticks to a plate and add your dipping sauce. Let the sticks cool for a couple of minutes first before trying. I cut mine in half after plating.