I understand that the 4th is all about the red, white and blue but let us not for get the most important color in our pallet GREEN! As with many holiday’s the 4th of July is full of over indulgence. You may not be able to keep fireworks from going off but you can do your part to make your 4th of July as green as possible.
1. Don’t use disposables. If you are having a party or going to one please make sure to use reusable or biodegradable utensils. If you prepare ahead of time you can keep the dish use to a minimum and there are plenty of kinds of drink cup markers to keep everyone from using every cup in the house.
2. Purchase your menu as locally and organically as you can. No need to go crazy with your food. BBQ menus can be simple and healthy. No one wants to eat a ton of food on a hot summer day anyway.
3. Keep the noise pollution to a minimum. Fireworks are going to be loud enough so there is no reason to have music blasting at every house on the block. Be considerate of your neighbors, animal and people alike.
4. Get active! It is nice outside go swimming, bike riding, or for a walk. Set up a volley ball or badmitton net. There are plenty of activities you can do on summer days and since the days are longer you have alot of time to stay out and play.
5. Use solar lighting or candles once it gets dark. I know everyone wants to stay out long enough to see the fireworks but don’t leave a million lights on outside it is just plain wasteful. The sun shines much longer in the summer so let solar lighting gather as much as it can to save up for the evening festivities!
6. Don’t use fireworks! There are plenty of community/town shows to see. Fireworks are really harmful to the environment so the less they are used the better. Not only are they dangerous and illegal in some states they are just for vanity. Create your ownhome made light crafts or watch other peoples. You don’t need to celebrate America’s independence with fireworks, create your own less harmful celebrations and traditions. After all that is what we wanted independence for anyway right?