1/4lb Brummel & Brown Spread
2-4 medium organic onions sliced (you can mix colors between red, white and yellow for flavor)
1tsp. organic sugar
2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. organic freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. organic flour
1tbsp. organic olive oil
1 cup organic red or burgundy wine
7-8 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth (usual recipes call for beef brother which you are free to use if you prefer)
Loaf of Organic Bread (choose any kind you like best but make sure it is crusty for toasting, you can use croutons as well)
1.Preheat oven to 500°
2. Heat butter and olive oil in large, heavy bottomed sauté pan over medium low heat.
3. Add sugar, stir to dissolve.
4. Add sliced onions to sauté pan and caramelize, cooking until golden brown. This takes about 30-40 minutes.
5. Add flower to pan, stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
6. Add Wine to pan and deglaze pan scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Reduce until almost dry.
7. Add stocks, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
8. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper or any other seasonings you prefer.
9. While soup is simmering, cut bread into thick slices and toast until golden brown.
10. When soup is done simmering, ladle soup into oven proof bowls. 11. Top each bowl with a piece of toast. Cover with about 1 1/2 -2″ of cheese.
12. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet and place on top rack of the oven and melt cheese until golden brown and bubbling.