I love summer parties!! My favorite part is finding fun new foods to try to make for the guests. I prefer to make finger foods of sorts and if at all possible theme it. I am not sure why I am so obsessed with this but it just makes me happy. Summer time is the perfect time of year to make use of vegetarian recipes when even the most carnivorous of carnivores are more likely to eat vegetables to keep them rather than eat a hot cooked meal. This is also the best time to make use of foods people would normally turn down. I found this refreshing recipe at one of my favorite places Tablespoon.com. I have added a bit of my own touch to it but the original recipe looks just as delish.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (pre-made or make your own)
Organic Red Bell Pepper
Hummus (any flavor you prefer personally my favorite it jalapeno or spicy)
1. Grease cupcake or mini-cupcake pan before placing dough in cups.
2. Pull apart dough or use a cookie cutter and place inside each muffin cup making sure there are no holes and that the dough is thick enough to hold the veggies and hummus but leave enough space so the dough bakes into a cup and not a muffin.
3. Poke small holes with a fork in the bottom of the cups to prevent the bottoms of them from rising and being unable to fill them effectively.
4. Bake the cups at according to the pre-made directions or the recipe you used to make the dough.
5. While the cups are baking, chop the cucumber, tomato, bell pepper and olive. I prefer to dice my olives but you can also chop them in to larger chunks.
6. Once the cups are finished baking, transfer them to a cooling rack and make sure to cool completely before filling.
7. Once cooled start filling with hummus and veggies. You can also fill some with just hummus or just veggies.
8. Serve when ready done and watch everyone devour!
**If you have feta lying around or different veggies go for it! If you have fresh fruit and whipped cream or cream cheese you can use those too! You can do so many things with this recipe it is really fun!